1.14.2009

oh9 can suck it



Well, kids. When it rains, it shit storms.
As
Galatea mentioned this weekend, my stuff was stolen from the bar this weekend. Mind you, this is a bar I bartend at once a week. I mean, come on. The universe is out to get me or teach me some lesson. I don’t know what it is, but it sure is kicking my ass and taking a toll.

Here is one lesson I know for sure. I have the most amazing friends near and far. Whenever I have been down and out and something shitty happens, friends just scoop me up and work their magic. It’s the kind words, it’s the actions, it’s that feeling that they understand and even more than that, EMPATHIZE with it all. They don’t want me to fall. I am just so full of love because of them. I don’t know if anyone deserves this, but I’m certainly proud and blessed that I’m on the receiving end of it all.

In light of the less than stellar start to 2009, I have decided to really celebrate the
Chinese New Year. January 26th. IT. IS. ON. By this time, our Main Man Obama will be in the White House and everything will be rainbows, cupcakes and a better economy. Right? HELL YEAH.

I don’t think I was approaching 2009 with the right mindset, mostly because I find New Years obnoxious, like Valentine’s Day or Sweetest Day. There is just so much hype for a clock to turn to midnight. Of course I understand the “fresh start” and “another year, another chance” aspect of it all. Quite frankly, I hope to spend one New Years at a yoga retreat (preferably in a tropical locale) in meditation when the clock strikes twelve. I know. How “Eat, Pray, Love” of me. But it’s true.
However, in Chicago, you cannot go out ANYWHERE without dropping at least $150 MINIMUM. For one night. Yeah. Ridonkulous. And if you’re in a relationship, the pressure is ON, my brotha. If you do not find the perfect place to ring in the new year with your girlfriend, who just bought a new skanky dress and heels (even if it is 20 degrees out, yeah, she is retarded) then it’s over. Well, it’ll be over after she scores her loot and boo-tay for Valentine’s Day. I’m guessing you’ll be done by February 21st if you fuck up New Years. Welcome to reasons number 26 and 27 of “Why Ava CHOOSES to be Single.” And why go through all of that when you can do a shot of Jameson with your “If We Were Lesbians…” friend, Faith, and share a petit smooch. Followed by looking at each other and saying, “this is bullshit” and chugging a glass of champagne. Word.

The point to my tirade? Because clearly I need to wrap this mess up. Well, I think you can have a fresh start anytime. You don’t need a sparkly ball to drop or confetti to fly for you to make a choice for change in your life. And you don’t need to be in a relationship with one person to be truly happy or to feel truly loved. Right now, I’ll take the love of many. There’s strength in numbers.

So, suck it 09. I’ve got friends, art and the upcoming Year of the Ox on my side!

4 comments:

LJ said...

You CAN have a fresh start anytime. Kudos for that. It's so true.

Vigrassc said...

I know we don't need the ball but come on its just so sparkly!!! I love sparkles! New goal in life: buy a miniature disco ball and anytime I make in a change in my life I drop it(like its hot of course) AWESOME!!!

Galatea said...

Oh, you know, I start over like once a month.
I'm all about fresh starts.
Which is why I woke up on the first day of 09 hungover, with a repeat mistake in my bed.

Blarg.

Anonymous said...

Love that you keep changing your ID picuture!

You almost sound surprised you receive so much from so many. Nobody gives that kind of love or other attention out without it coming 'round. I've had the luck/pleasure to bask in the glow of yours, and it's worth the trip. Keep giving it, no matter what shitty thing happens. 'Cause it always comes 'round, bigger and better.

I read it quick the first time and thought you said "yogurt retreat," which would really fit in with "Eat, Pray, Love." Talk about fresh starts!

Some days you just need to turn a new page. Some days you need to turn a new chapter. Some days you need to start a whole new book. And then there are certain times when you need to get the hell out of publishing all together and start an entirely new gig.

Yes, you are lucky. But so are all of us who count you as a friend. You don't "deserve" it, you've earned it. Eyes on the Prize!