3.28.2009

heart anatomy


Song lyrics are funny things, aren't they? A song is playing one moment, surrounding you with melodic sound, and the next moment, you hear each and every word and it stops you. My recent obsession with Pandora Radio led me to the song “Breakable” by Ingrid Michaelson.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts?
Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts.So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess,
And to stop the muscle that makes us confess.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys


Which led me the lyrics of one of my favorite songs,"Nothing Better” by the Postal Service. (lo siento, I could not find an official video to this song. If you don't own it, do yourself a solid and GET IT NOW.)

Will someone please call a surgeon
Who can crack my ribs and repair this broken heart
That you’re deserting for better company?
I can't accept that it's over...
I will block the door like a goalie tending the net
In the third quarter of a tied-game rivalry
So just say how to make it right
And I swear I'll do my best to comply
Tell me am I right to think that there could be nothing better
Than making you my bride and slowly growing old together


I love the idea of what our hearts are anatomically. It’s just a muscle. It circulates our blood. Our ribcage protects our heart as well as our lungs, which give us breath.
I love the idea of breath. I think it’s the best way to remind ourselves that we’re living. Each moment, is a breath.
(Strange fact: I can no longer eat meat off of ribs. One day, I visualized their anatomical placement and what their actual function is. Ava does not eat ribs, folks.)

What’s strange about the science of these parts of our body, our hearts and our lungs, is how much they mean emotionally and poetically. I have had moments that have taken my breath away. I have missed someone so much my heart ached. The fusion of our anatomy and our emotions is rather spectacular.
Humans, we’re funny things, aren’t we?

1 comment:

Raoul said...

Music gets me like that. I feel the music physically. And certain songs hit me at certain times, or sometimes about certain subjects or certain people. Then sometimes it's Pavolov ringing a bell, but instead of salivating (hmmm...a salivating heart...THAT is certainly a subject that should be addressed at some point!), my heart aches even more (sometimes in a good way but all too often in a painful way) due to the connection I've created in my heart, which is triggered by the particular music or lyric. It is amazing how much emotions affect the physical body in all kinds of ways. And not a damn thing you can do about it, so may as well hang on and enjoy the ride!