12.15.2008

an open letter: hall and oates


With a recent appearance on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, which set my heart a-flutter, I have decided to once again share my love letter to the incomparable Hall and Oates (previously posted on I Could Kill Her).

Dear Hall and Oates-
Wow. What else can I say to you, Daryl and John? You really cranked out those hits that defined the 80s, didn't you?
I mean, wow.
As I sit here, in my cube, with forty minutes left of my "workday" I thought I would write you to let you know that I believe your music must be totally underrated. THIS IS SOME GOOD SHIT!

People out there in the internets, do yourself a solid and click on these links and take. it. in!

Here's Rich Girl:
Get DOWN with your bad self.
This is quite possibly one of the most perfectly arranged pop songs of all time. Notice, how it begins so simple and pure then crescendos until it reaches an incredible climax of instruments and power. I could belt out this song every.single.day. I FEEL it that much. At that moment around the 2:06 mark with a pause into the "And you say..." BRILLIANT!

Private Eyes:
I mean, COME ON! What's NOT to like? Totally performance based. Costumed like private eyes (clevah, clevah). And flashing lights with the claps. So simple. Did I mention that synthesizer? Mmmmmm. Smells like 80s.

Maneater, The Orig:
The absolute epitome of what a great 80s video should be.
-80s Zoot Suits-check
-Shadows-Check
-saxaphone-check
-saxaphone player wearing shades-check
-that great 80s dance move, really made famous in Footloose, where you bounce side to side and then occassionally getting elbows involved- check yes
-COUGAR!!!!!-check say WHAT?!
-Prositute-check
-John Oates perm/fro bouncing while he dances-check and check
-Jumping in shot to sing "whoa-oa here she comes" every single time, against a corner-checkity check check
-intense staring into the camera-oh yeah check
-slight scat of "womaniswild whooooaaa" by Daryl- chizzeck
-once again, very performance based-nice check

I've watched this video three times now and it could quite possibly be one of my favorite things of all time. It is genius, nostalgic and fucking great. Words do not truly encompass the magnitude of beauty this video and song posses.

You Make My Dreams Come True:
Daryl and John, John and Daryl. You DO make my dreams come true. You are clearly having the times of your lives in this video and you know what? It makes me want to do the same. I want to bounce around the city listening to this song. I would be such a happier person. And maybe that's the point. You made music that made people better.

Yes, I am leaving out other seminal works such as "She's Gone" and "I Can't Go For That", both outstanding in their own rights. But with given this sampling, I guess what I'm trying to say is that although you're not cranking out hits anymore, you did good work and that's the gift that keeps giving.
Do Work Hall and Oates, Do. Work.

Hugs, kisses and Real Talk-
Miss Maneater Ava

P.S.-Dear John Oates' Moustache-
You deserve a letter of your own. You are powerful, potent and rich. You put many-a moustache to shame. You are full of life and vigor. You make the 80s proud. Word on the street is that the moustache is making a come-back, well if that's the case, you are the ideal of what a good, nay, great moustache should be. Although in 2008, it should be noted, you no longer exist, which is a crime. John, give 'Stache a chance.

Moustaches and Rides-
Lady Ava

2 comments:

Winston O'Boogie said...

Darryl Hall had melodies running through his sweet, blonde head that the world needed to hear...and thank God John Oates came around to teach him how to share.
The world is better with Hall & Oates and you make this abundantly clear.

George Tarasuk said...

Yes, this all very 80's fly. And I concur on the moustache. Sadly, it puts my invisible David Niven experiment to shame.